Garbanzo Bean Curry
A can of garbanzo beans gets a healthy upgrade in this warming soup.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 large tomatoes sliced or 2 cups canned tomatoes no salt added
- 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 teaspoons Benefiber Original
- 1 ⅓ cup cooked no salt added garbanzo beans (from dry or can)
- ½ cup cracked wheat
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 4 cups spinach
- ¼ cup nonfat yogurt
- Heat heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat.
- Spray pot with vegetable oil and add onion. Sautee until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add cumin, mustard powder, ginger, garlic, and cayenne. Cook for 2 more minutes stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, water, salt, pepper, turmeric, Benefiber, garbanzo beans, and cracked wheat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add peas and spinach, cook just until soup returns to a simmer. Top with yogurt and serve.
Nutritional Information (Per 1 Serving)
Contains 2 teaspoons of Benefiber (2 teaspoons = 3 grams of fiber)*
- Calories: 398
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 72g
- Dietary Fiber: 21g
- Sugars: 13g
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Calcium: 175mg
- Sodium: 211mg