Soluble vs. Insoluble Fiber: What’s the Difference?
Fiber has a bigger impact on digestion than most of the other foods that you eat. But not all fiber is created equal. There are two different types of fiber: soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Each have their own benefits that extend well beyond gut health. Learn about these plant-based fibers and find out what makes them different.1
What Is Insoluble Fiber?
Insoluble fiber helps food pass faster through the stomach and intestines. This fiber thickens the stool.2 Insoluble fiber is beneficial as it helps clean your digestive tract.1
Foods High in Insoluble Fiber
Insoluble fiber is found in the following foods:1
- Whole grains
- Kidney beans
What Is Soluble Fiber?
Soluble fiber slows digestion by attracting water and turning into gel.2 Soluble fiber in particular is known to lower cholesterol levels.1
Foods High in Soluble Fiber
Soluble fiber is found in the following foods:
It’s important to incorporate both soluble fiber and insoluble fiber into your diet. Try a fiber supplement if you’re having trouble adding enough fiber to your diet. Benefiber Original is a clear, taste-free prebiotic fiber that you can easily dissolve in food and beverages.*
*Not recommended for carbonated beverages. Use as directed.
Show ReferencesHide References
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. “Fiber Is the Key to Good Health,” n.d. https://www.pcrm.org/news/blog/fiber-key-good-health. Accessed on 4/28/23.
- Soluble vs. insoluble fiber: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. “Soluble vs. Insoluble Fiber: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia,” n.d.https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002136.htm. Accessed on 4/28/23.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH). “Health Benefits of Dietary Fibers Vary,” May 23, 2022. https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/health-benefits-dietary-fibers-vary. Accessed on 4/28/23.
- “The Many Benefits of Fiber.” Tarrant County TX. https://www.tarrantcountytx.gov/en/public-health/family-health-services/chronic-disease-prevention/nutrition/live-a-more-colorful-life/the-many-benefits-of-fiber.html. Accessed April 28, 2023.
- Rynfield, Robert. “Best Type of Fiber for Weight Loss.” Journal of the American Center for Nutrition. Journal of the American Center for Nutrition, January 30, 2023. https://www.jacn.org/best-type-of-fiber-for-weight-loss/. Accessed April 28, 2023.